incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matthew Hayes <mha...@linkedin.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] DataFu for Incubation
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 00:16:44 GMT
When we came up with the name a couple years ago, it was inspired by "kung fu", in a playful
way as Roman mentioned.  Sort of like saying your Java Fu or Python Fu is excellent.

-Matt
From: sebb [sebbaz@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 3:57 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] DataFu for Incubation

On 18 December 2013 22:49, Matthew Hayes <mhayes@linkedin.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to share our draft ASF incubation proposal for DataFu, a library that makes
it easier to solve data problems in Hadoop and high level languages based on it.

I am the only person to think that the last part of the name has
unfortunate connotations?
c.f. SNAFU which has the same last two characters.

> The proposal can be found here:
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DataFuProposal
>
> The source code is available on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/linkedin/datafu.
>
> The text of the proposal is copied below.  Feedback is appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> == Abstract ==
>
> Data``Fu makes it easier to solve data problems using Hadoop and higher level languages
based on it.

> == Proposal ==
>
> Data``Fu provides a collection of Hadoop Map``Reduce jobs and functions in higher level
languages based on it to perform data analysis.  It provides functions for common statistics
tasks (e.g. quantiles, sampling), Page``Rank, stream sessionization, and set and bag operations.
 Data``Fu also provides Hadoop jobs for incremental data processing in Map``Reduce.

> == Background ==
>
> Data``Fu began two years ago as set of UDFs developed internally at Linked``In, coming
from our desire to solve common problems with reusable components.  Recognizing that the community
could benefit from such a library, we added documentation, an extensive suite of unit tests,
and open sourced the code.  Since then there have been steady contributions to Data``Fu as
we encountered common problems not yet solved by it.  Others outside Linked``In have contributed
as well.  More recently we recognized the challenges with efficient incremental processing
of data in Hadoop and have contributed a set of Hadoop Map``Reduce jobs as a solution.

> Data``Fu began as a project at Linked``In, but it has shown itself to be useful to other
organizations and developers as well as they have faced similar problems.  We would like to
share Data``Fu with the ASF and begin developing a community of developers and users within
Apache.

> == Rationale ==
>
> There is a strong need for well tested libraries that help developers solve common data
problems in Hadoop and higher level languages such as Pig, Hive, Crunch, Scalding, etc.

> == Current Status ==
>
> === Meritocracy ===
>
> Our intent with this incubator proposal is to start building a diverse developer community
around Data``Fu following the Apache meritocracy model.  Since Data``Fu was initially open
sourced in 2011, it has received contributions from both within and outside Linked``In.  We
plan to continue support for new contributors and work with those who contribute significantly
to the project to make them committers.

> === Community ===
>
> Data``Fu has been building a community of developers for two years.  It began with contributors
from Linked``In and has received contributions from developers at Cloudera since very early
on.  It has been included included in Cloudera’s Hadoop Distribution and Apache Bigtop.
 We hope to extend our contributor base significantly and invite all those who are interested
in solving large-scale data processing problems to participate.

> === Core Developers ===
>
> Data``Fu has a strong base of developers at Linked``In.  Matthew Hayes initiated the
project in 2011, and aside from continued contributions to Data``Fu has also contributed the
sub-project Hourglass for incremental Map``Reduce processing.  Separate from Data``Fu he has
also open sourced the White Elephant project.  Sam Shah contributed a significant portion
of the original code and continues to contribute to the project.  William Vaughan has been
contributing regularly to Data``Fu for the past two years.  Evion Kim has been contributing
to Data``Fu for the past year.  Xiangrui Meng recently contributed implementations of scalable
sampling algorithms based on research from a paper he published.  Chris Lloyd has provided
some important bug fixes and unit tests.  Mitul Tiwari has also contributed to Data``Fu.
Mathieu Bastian has been developing Map``Reduce jobs that we hope to include in Data``Fu.
 In addition he also leads the open source Gephi project.

> === Alignment ===
>
> The ASF is the natural choice to host the Data``Fu project as its goal of encouraging
community-driven open-source projects fits with our vision for Data``Fu.  Additionally, other
projects Data``Fu integrates with, such as Apache Pig and Apache Hadoop, and in the future
Apache Hive and Apache Crunch, are hosted by the ASF and we will benefit and provide benefit
by close proximity to them.

> == Known Risks ==
>
> === Orphaned Products ===
>
> The core developers have been contributing to Data``Fu for the past two years.  There
is very little risk of Data``Fu being abandoned given its widespread use within Linked``In.

> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>
> Data``Fu was started as an open source project in 2011 and has remained so for two years.
 Matt initiated the project, and additionally is the creator of the open source White Elephant
project.  He has also contributed patches to Apache Pig.  Most recently he has released Hourglass
as a sub-project of Data``Fu.  Sam contributed much of the original code and continues to
contribute to the project.  Will has been contributing to Data``Fu since it was first open
sourced.  Evion has been contributing for the past year.  Mathieu leads the open source Gephi
project.  Jakob has been actively involved with the ASF as a full-time Hadoop committer and
PMC member.

> === Homogeneous Developers ===
>
> The current core developers are all from Linked``In.  Data``Fu has also received contributions
from other corporations such as Cloudera.  Two of these developers are among the Initial Committers
listed below.  We hope to establish a developer community that includes contributors from
several other corporations and we are actively encouraging new contributors via presentations
and blog posts.

> === Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
>
> The current core developers are salaried employees of Linked``In, however they are not
paid specifically to work on Data``Fu.  Contributions to Data``Fu arise from the developers
solving problems they encounter in their various projects.  The purpose of Data``Fu is to
share these solutions so that others may benefit and build a community of developers striving
to solve common problems together.  Furthermore, once the project has a community built around
it, we expect to get committers, developers and contributions from outside the current core
developers.

> === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
>
> Data``Fu is deeply integrated with Apache products.  It began as a library of user-defined
functions for Apache Pig.  It has grown to also include Hadoop jobs for incremental data processing
and in the future will include code for other higher level languages built on top of Apache
Hadoop.

> === An Excessive Obsession with the Apache Brand ===
>
> While we respect the reputation of the Apache brand and have no doubts that it will attract
contributors and users, our interest is primarily to give Data``Fu a solid home as an open
source project following an established development model.

> == Documentation ==
>
> Information on Data``Fu can be found at:
>
> https://github.com/LinkedIn/DataFu/blob/master/README.md
>
> == Initial Source ==
>
> The initial source is available at:
>
> https://github.com/LinkedIn/DataFu
>
> == Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==
>
>  * The Data``Fu library source code, available on Git``Hub.
>
> == External Dependencies ==
>
> The initial source has the following external dependencies that are either included in
the final Data``Fu library or required in order to use it:

>  * fastutil (Apache 2.0)
>  * joda-time (Apache 2.0)
>  * commons-math (Apache 2.0)
>  * guava (Apache 2.0)
>  * stream (Apache 2.0)
>  * jsr-305 (BSD)
>  * log4j (Apache 2.0)
>  * json (The JSON License)
>  * avro (Apache 2.0)
>
> In addition, the following external libraries are used either in building, developing,
or testing the project:

>  * pig (Apache 2.0)
>  * hadoop (Apache 2.0)
>  * jline (BSD)
>  * antlr (BSD)
>  * commons-io (Apache 2.0)
>  * testng (Apache 2.0)
>  * maven (Apache 2.0)
>  * jsr-311 (CDDL-1.0)
>  * slf4j (MIT)
>  * eclipse (Eclipse Public License 1.0)
>  * autojar (GPLv2)
>  * jarjar (Apache 2.0)
>
> == Cryptography ==
>
> Data``Fu has user-defined functions that use MD5 and SHA provided by Java’s java.security.Message``Digest.
>
> == Required Resources ==
>
> === Mailing Lists ===
>
> Data``Fu-private for private PMC discussions (with moderated subscriptions) Data``Fu-dev
Data``Fu-commits

> === Subversion Directory ===
>
> Git is the preferred source control system: git://git.apache.org/DataFu
>
> === Issue Tracking ===
>
> JIRA Data``Fu (Data``Fu)
>
> === Other Resources ===
>
> The existing code already has unit tests, so we would like a Hudson instance to run them
whenever a new patch is submitted. This can be added after project creation.