incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Majority vs Lazy Majority
Date Fri, 15 Nov 2013 15:03:24 GMT
On 9 November 2013 12:17, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Is there such a concept as "Lazy Majority" ?
> Yes many Apache projects define it (eg Ant, Kafka, Hadoop, Pig, Hive and others ) as
does Apache HTTP. [1]
> "Lazy majority decides each issue in the release plan."

The phrase is used, but it is not defined anywhere that I could find,
so it is either a typo for something else or it is meaningless.

In both cases the document needs to be tidied up and clarified.

> Different projects however  use different terms, as far as I can see  "Lazy Majority"
is used more than " "Majority Approval" but both have the same rules, ie 3 +1s and more +1's
than -1's.

> My guess is that "Lazy Majority" is used because Majority implies more than 50% of possible
voters need to vote.

My guess is that it is a misprint for Lazy Consensus.