incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Adding IPMC members based on PPMC merit
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2013 01:17:13 GMT
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

> and bug #2 is this scheme of
> adding IPMC members based on PPMC merit.

"Adding IPMC members based on PPMC merit" was the implementation
which garnered the most support on the first go-around.  Unfortunately, things
look grim so far:

*   An email to private@incubator soliciting nominees from one specific
    podling came up empty.
*   An email to private@incubator soliciting nominees from any podling at all
    also failed to elicit a single response.
*   Nominations have been complicated by the difficulty of establishing
    exactly what criteria justify elevating someone with PPMC merit onto the
    IPMC.

In order to compensate for Mentor attrition and a serious dent in the problem
of release vote scarcity, I reckon we need at least at least one new IPMC
member per podling on average.  Maybe we could start with a handful.
But zero?

My analysis is that this approach cannot scale because it lacks a forcing
function.  If nominating potential IPMC members from podlings remains both
uncomfortable and optional, it just will not get done often enough to solve
a systemic problem.

Do any of the people who favored this stratagem feel as though we have not yet
given it our best effort?

In order to arrive at a consensus solution, I believe that all of us are going
to have to show some flexibility about implementation details.  I hope that
you feel as though your concerns have been heard, and that you will be
supportive of other means which achieve similar ends.

Marvin Humphrey