incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Phoenix for Incubation
Date Mon, 18 Nov 2013 01:59:49 GMT
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:43 PM, James Taylor <jtaylor@salesforce.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We're pleased to share a draft ASF incubation proposal for Phoenix, a
> SQL layer over HBase, initially developed at Salesforce.com and
> subsequently open sourced on github
> (https://github.com/forcedotcom/phoenix). Instead of using Map-reduce
> to processes queries, it compiles SQL directly into native HBase
> calls. The complete proposal can be found here:
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/PhoenixProposal, and is also pasted
> below.
>
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I think this is a great project and it would make all the sense to have
it join ASF family via the process of incubation. Two small points are:
   * I am sure with the name like Phoenix there's tons of clashes,
     but perhaps Apache Phoenix should be fine
   * How tightly coupled is it with HBase? IOW, do you anticipate
     needing to be constantly in lock-step with HBase implementation
     or are you using more of public APIs that shouldn't change that much?

Thanks,
Roman.