incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How long is too long in the incubator?
Date Sat, 30 Nov 2013 19:37:05 GMT
On 30 Nov 2013, at 2:16, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>> If a podling has been in the incubator for some years, but is
>> struggling
>> to reach critical mass, is there any reason not to just let the
>> podling
>> be?

If the mentors stick to the project there is only little problem (I
think).
On the other hand we should avoid to become some kind of scm hoster.
The incubator has a specific goal and if project enters I believe it
should
work to reach these goals.
If the goals are not reached like in the case you might have in mind,
i believe we need to ask: why? Are you on the right place?

Sometimes such questions bring up a few problems, sometimes not.

Just for the record, I have no problem this project stays longer. But I
will continue
asking if there is life in the podling if there is no progress in
future.
Hope my recent emails didn't read like that I absolutely want to throw
them out. Its not like that.

Thanks!
Christian

> We talked this subject through in November 2011, under the heading
> "Actively
> retiring projects":
>
>  http://markmail.org/message/4cagxwofrsmkmsek
>
> The biggest change we made in the wake of that discussion was to
> graduate
> small but stable communities more aggressively.  Isis was one[1].
> VXQuery,
> with 4-5 active PPMC members, is likely to graduate under similar
> criteria.
>
> Another change which has happened gradually over the last few years is
> that we
> have cast aside the stigma associated with leaving the Incubator.
> Vestiges of
> a less tolerant mentality from the early days persist in our policy
> page[2]:
>

> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Termination+of+a+Podling
>
>  Termination of a Podling
>
>      If you receive a recommendation for termination then you have a
>      problem.
>
> I have always thought that shaming projects which don't complete
> incubation
> was unjust, bad policy, and unbecoming of a volunteer-driven public
> charity.
> Now that we have softened our attitudes, recognizing that all software
> products have a lifecycle and emphasizing "retirement" over
> "termination", the
> Incubator has become more self-cleaning.
>
> Back in 2011, the Incubator had a significant problem with
> accumulating
> stalled podlings.  Today, we have more room to consider podlings in
> difficult
> circumstances on a case-by-case basis.
>
> Marvin Humphrey
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/3aiwjgocoqeojeop
> [2] One of these days I'm going to call a VOTE on changing that
> language.

---
http://www.grobmeier.de
@grobmeier