incubator-general mailing list archives

From Raphael Bircher <r.birc...@gmx.ch>
Subject Re: Cultivating Outstanding IP Stewards
Date Sat, 09 Nov 2013 08:38:52 GMT
Hi Marvin

Am 09.11.13 07:15, schrieb Marvin Humphrey:
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 2:54 AM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013, at 08:10 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>> IMO the IPMC cannot delegate legal oversight to a sub-committee  (for
>>> example) unless that sub-committee consisted of members of the IPMC. The
>>> reason for this is hat only members of the IPMC are recognized by the board
>>> and thus only IPMC members have binding votes.
>> That is what the board has done to date. That is not the only
>> possibility in terms of what the board *could* do, which is much more
>> where my question was leading.
> The issue was brought before the Board earlier this week and they have
> explicitly bounced it back to us.  Their rationale is that the problem lies
> within the scope of project governance that the Board has delegated to the
> Incubator PMC.  The Board has plenty going on these days; I can understand
> that they don't want to get involved in debates over e.g. the nitty gritty
> details of pTLP design.
>
> So, it's our responsibility to design a solution using only the resources
> currently available to us.  If we exercise a little creativity and
> flexibility, I don't think we will find ourselves unduly constrained.
>
>> My issue is that granting PMC membership is too big a step for many
>> podling members. Going from being newbie podling member, to a part of a
>> team responsible for 50+ incubator projects is, with the freedom to
>> mentor other podlings, is too big a step for most podling members, and
>> will remain scary even if you attempt to restrict 'powers' through
>> social convention.
> That sounds unreasonably pessimistic.  Historically, when contributors from
> active podlings have been nominated, vetted and successfully voted onto the
> IPMC, things have worked out very well:
>
>      Brian Duxbury (Thrift)
>      Richard Hirsch (ESME)
>      Marvin Humphrey (Lucy)
>      Karl Wright (ManifoldCF)
>      Dave Fisher (OpenOffice)
>      Andrei Savu (Provisionr)
>
> I'm proud to be part of that group.  I would like to see it grow -- in my
> view, the Incubator has erred by not recruiting aggressively enough!
Probabily yes, but a step between IPMC and nothing would lower the
barrier. Well, I'm shepherd now, reading the lists etc. But I beleve the
incubator miss samething to show the ability to be a mentor. Maybe
something like a Assistent mentor. The assistent Mentor can be assinged
to a podling but have for exemple not the right to subscribe the private
lists. That would probabily also encourage more.

Greetings Raphael