incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Project reboot proposals - any guidance?
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2013 02:31:50 GMT
On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM, Nick Burch <apache@gagravarr.org> wrote:
> Do we have any guidance on what a reboot proposal should and shouldn't
> contain?

Lucy was a reboot.  It had withered as a subproject under the Lucene
umbrella before coming to the Incubator.  The parallels aren't exact, but
it's a precedent.

Of all my experiences at Apache, nothing taught me more about the Apache Way
than collaborating on the proposal for Lucy's entry into the Incubator.
Analyzing the flaws in how Lucy-as-Lucene-subproject was structured and
devising plans to remedy those flaws was a great exercise.

I'm not aware of dedicated Incubator documentation for rebooting projects, but
perhaps scanning the Lucy proposal would be helpful:

  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/LucyProposal

> If not, any chance people could cast any eye over the proposal, and either
> fix stuff if they can, or flag it for work if not? The proposal is at:
>      https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/XMLBeansProposal

I've read through the proposal and it's OK but I think it could withstand
additional detail.  I suggest having the initial committers attempt to revise
it.  The questions in the Incubator's proposal template are very thought
provoking.

Marvin Humphrey