incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Licensing question for new incubator project
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 23:01:29 GMT
Hi Jacob,

On Oct 11, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Hi Jacob,
>
> On 10 Oct 2013, at 23:50, Jacob Beard wrote:
>> I'm the author of an open source project which project grew out of an
>> ASF-mentored Google Summer of Code project three years ago. This project
>> has been in constant development ever since, and has grown into a mature
>> code-base, used in production in several places. I am interested in
>> contributing this project back to ASF, and it seems like the way to do that
>> is by submitting it as an incubator project.
>
> cool!

Good to hear of your interest in contributing back to Apache.

>> I have a question regarding licensing. I developed part of this project
>> during my current employment, and my employer gave me permission to publish
>> my work under an Apache 2 license on Github.

It sounds like your company owns IP associated with this project.

>> I believe they will be
>> supportive of my request to submit the project to ASF. However, I will be
>> changing my employment soon (they are aware of this), and so I would like
>> to resolve all the IP issues with them now, while I am still at the
>> company. I would therefore like to verify that, in order to contribute the
>> project to ASF, they will be required to sign a Corporate CLA, and a
>> Software Grant Agreement.
>
> yes, the company will need to sign a software grant and imho should sign a corporate
CLA.

Assuming (see above) that the company does own some IP associated with the project they will
need to donate (license) that code to Apache. There is no need for a CCLA but a grant is appropriate.

>> I would also like to check if there is any issue with having them sign
>> these documents early in the process, before I submit the Incubator
>> proposal?
>
> It definitely makes sense and I am not aware of an issues. In your situation I would
do the same.
> There is of course a chance the incubator pmc rejects your proposal.

I don't know of any issues either. You can note in the request for incubation that the IP
has already been licensed to Apache via the grant.

>> Is there anything else I should be aware of at this stage?
>
> Please note, most project which are accepted have already a community. It reads as your
> project would have one. If you know a few people here I would also recommend you to "recruit"
a Champion
> even before you submit the proposal. I would think your GSOC mentors might be able to
help you.
> A Champion is very good to have with the first steps.
>
> You should wait a little bit if somebody else has another thing to add to my comments.
>
> Cheers
> Christian
>

>> Thanks for your attention, and I look forward to receiving your comments.

Good luck with bringing your project back to Apache.

Craig

>> Jacob Beard
>

> ---
> http://www.grobmeier.de