incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <>
Subject Re: Licensing question for new incubator project
Date Fri, 11 Oct 2013 23:01:29 GMT
Hi Jacob,

On Oct 11, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

> Hi Jacob,
> On 10 Oct 2013, at 23:50, Jacob Beard wrote:
>> I'm the author of an open source project which project grew out of an
>> ASF-mentored Google Summer of Code project three years ago. This project
>> has been in constant development ever since, and has grown into a mature
>> code-base, used in production in several places. I am interested in
>> contributing this project back to ASF, and it seems like the way to do that
>> is by submitting it as an incubator project.
> cool!

Good to hear of your interest in contributing back to Apache.
>> I have a question regarding licensing. I developed part of this project
>> during my current employment, and my employer gave me permission to publish
>> my work under an Apache 2 license on Github.

It sounds like your company owns IP associated with this project.

>> I believe they will be
>> supportive of my request to submit the project to ASF. However, I will be
>> changing my employment soon (they are aware of this), and so I would like
>> to resolve all the IP issues with them now, while I am still at the
>> company. I would therefore like to verify that, in order to contribute the
>> project to ASF, they will be required to sign a Corporate CLA, and a
>> Software Grant Agreement.
> yes, the company will need to sign a software grant and imho should sign a corporate

Assuming (see above) that the company does own some IP associated with the project they will
need to donate (license) that code to Apache. There is no need for a CCLA but a grant is appropriate.
>> I would also like to check if there is any issue with having them sign
>> these documents early in the process, before I submit the Incubator
>> proposal?
> It definitely makes sense and I am not aware of an issues. In your situation I would
do the same.
> There is of course a chance the incubator pmc rejects your proposal.

I don't know of any issues either. You can note in the request for incubation that the IP
has already been licensed to Apache via the grant.
>> Is there anything else I should be aware of at this stage?
> Please note, most project which are accepted have already a community. It reads as your
> project would have one. If you know a few people here I would also recommend you to "recruit"
a Champion
> even before you submit the proposal. I would think your GSOC mentors might be able to
help you.
> A Champion is very good to have with the first steps.
> You should wait a little bit if somebody else has another thing to add to my comments.
> Cheers
> Christian
>> Thanks for your attention, and I look forward to receiving your comments.

Good luck with bringing your project back to Apache.