incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache project bylaws
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 22:34:30 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, it's interesting to see that some project don't have bylaws.

The whole reason this come about is because it's unclear what voting rules are the default
when voting someone in as  committer. See [1] (consensus) and [2] (majority). If -1 is a veto
or not is sort of important thing to know, and which voting system is used actually changes
how people vote. To solve any potential disputes bylaws are perhaps not required but the project
at least needs to reach consensus on what voting system should be used. Just before or after
graduation would be a good time to do this IMO.

After looking at other project bylaws I also realised that we were missing/not discussed a
few other reasonably important things like the term of the chair.

Perhaps the option of having a boilerplate set of bylaws (taken from an existing project )
could be the default on graduation and then each project make their own by voting to modify
them?

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html