incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The podling initial committers issue
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2013 17:34:04 GMT
On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Dave <snoopdave@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Here's what I think we should add:
> >
> > After a proposal is submitted to the incubator but before a vote is
> called
> > the proposing community may choose to add additional committers who ask
> > be committers or may chose to defer adding new committers until the
> podling
> > is in the Incubator and can use the normal ways of ASF meritocracy,
> > nominate new committers, etc.
> >
> > Do people agree with that text?
> >

> The "normal ways" stuff needs to be word-smithed. It's an
> obvious "slam" against the way 90-95% of how other proposals
> have been done and implies that somehow that's "wrong".

There's no "slam" against podlings that have gone through an Incubator
process that was less meritocratic. This is not a failure of podlings
exposed to that process. It's just something we can make better, and more
consistent with our standard meritocratic policies for PMCs.

> If you delete everything after "is in the Incubator..." then
> it's a little less biased or leading.

I don't find this biased or leading. It's a genuine reference to mirror
policies that are the norm for PMCs.

Alex