incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Is there a need for a "Assisten mentor"?
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2013 19:37:01 GMT
On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
>> Hi at all
>>
>> After now nearly two years at Apache, I would like to come back to incubator
>> and help new projects. I don't ask for a mentor roul, but if a mentor would
>> give me a hand and then I would be happy to join a project as a "assistent
>> mentor".
>
> A suggestion: perhaps starting with shepherding  duties next month would
> be a good way to engage with the incubator mentorship role?

Additional shepherd volunteers would be very helpful.  Up till now, all
shepherds have been IPMC members, but the Incubator's report is a collective
work of the community.

Something to think about: On our last report, one podling's Mentors felt that
the shepherd's comments required a response.  It's a good thing that the
shepherd comments were filed early enough in this case to allow time for that
response.

With that in mind, I'd like to make a small change to how we schedule
shepherding, which will hopefully make things go more smoothly for shepherds
of all experience levels.

*   Shepherd slots will be assigned earlier -- two weeks before the
    report is due (and three weeks before the Board meeting).
*   Shepherd comments will be due by the end of the Sunday before the
    Wednesday we file the report (instead of Tuesday like last cycle.)
*   The compendium of shepherd comments will be sent to general@incubator on
    Monday, allowing 2-3 days for people to respond if necessary.

Marvin Humphrey