incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Web voting
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 00:10:52 GMT
On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 3:32 AM, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 03.09.13 12:18, schrieb Tammo van Lessen:
>> I find Loomio [1] looks very promising. It's probably not exactly
>> tailor-made for our decision making progress but it can showcase [2] what
>> is possible and if it can help us.
>
> Looks pretty nice.
>
> Is it a requirement to send individual votes to the ml (like with voting on
> releases).

I would say no -- but the results must be auditable.  A final tally tabulating
all votes cast is a requirement.  I also think it would be useful to send out
email notification that a vote has been cast to the personal email of the
individual who cast it.

To my mind it's a feature if we can achieve auditability without individual
emails to the list, as that improves the list's signal-to-noise ratio.

For auditability's sake, we need to limit those who can vote to a whitelist.
Code we run on our own servers can hook into LDAP, or maybe even mailing-list
membership records.  What sort of implementation challenges would whitelisting
present if we use external voting services?

> in some cases we need secret votes (like with the IPMC chair vote)

We have acceptable solutions now for all our voting needs, including secret
votes with Apache Steve.  Web voting would be for the sake of making some
votes easier; we don't have to use it all the time.

> Loomio looks hackable actually.

AGPL, though. :\

Marvin Humphrey