incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Web voting
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2013 15:20:17 GMT
On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> We don't need to worry for this vote, but in general relying on voter's
> statement is not a good idea. An authoritative resource to verify the
> binding and non-binding votes is [1].

> [1] - http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#incubator-pmc

I agree, but what a pain in the neck.

Instead of running votes manually on our mailing lists, I wish that we ran
them in a web application.

*   Votes could be tied to LDAP in order to differentiate binding from
    non-binding.
*   Improved mailing list signal-to-noise ratio.
*   No more confusion as to what is DISCUSS and what is VOTE on a vote
    thread -- all email replies would be discussion.
*   Automatic generation of both the email starting the vote and the email
    announcing the vote result, reducing administrative overhead.  No more
    tedious and error-prone manual tallying and validation!
*   Vote results could be stored permanently in some kind of database, making
    apps like Brane's "Incubator Voting Status" more reliable and easier to
    maintain.  (<http://people.apache.org/~brane/incubator/votes.html>)

The Incubator runs a lot of votes.  If code can be provided, I think it's
reasonable to petition for Infra resources to maintain a voting service.

Thoughts?

Ideally, Apache Steve would power a web voting app.  How close is it to
providing the features we would need?

Marvin Humphrey