incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Usergrid BaaS Stack for Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2013 00:20:00 GMT

On Sep 24, 2013, at 3:19 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...So fill the bus with anybody who volunteers? That does not sound
>> meritocratic....
>
> It's been like that for a while in the Incubator, people who sign up
> as initial committers for a podling usually don't have to demonstrate
> any merit.
>
> When the time comes to graduate the podling, it's perfectly fine to
> ask it to prune its list of committers and PMC members in order to
> keep only people who have demonstrated their committment during
> incubation.

When OpenOffice.org was brought to the Incubator there was open enrollment. There were over
70 Initial Committers. I had no experience with OpenOffice. I did have an understanding of
the ASF. I could help and I did. It was tough to have such a large list many were OpenOffice.org
people who never really adapted to the ASF. We had all these people on the PPMC. When graduation
time came we managed to reduce the PMC to 25. We left the Initial Committers connected. It
hasn't really been a problem.

My point is that without the Initial Committer free for all I think that AOO would not be
as successful as now.

Regards,
Dave