incubator-general mailing list archives

From Vinayak Borkar <vinay...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Followup to VXQuery July 2013 report
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 07:25:17 GMT
Hi Dave,

I apologize if the answer you got to your question about VXQuery usage
to be clueless and abstract. Since we did not see any feedback to the
response to your question, the conclusion was that you were satisfied
with the answer. The VXQuery team would have and still would appreciate
any constructive ideas you might have that can help the project both
from a technical as well as a process point of view.

Thanks,
Vinayak

On 9/6/13 4:43 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi Ant,
>
> I was the shepherd on VXQuery in their last reporting period. I really don't feel like
anything is really happening in the project, at least not anywhere that is visible. I even
asked a technical question about one of their suggested use cases - organize and accessing
Edgar documents. A source I have actually worked with. Company data is something I've been
around all my life and I am in my 50s. I grew up around company data since my father was a
Finance Professor at the University of Chicago and one of the founders of CRSP. My development
career also involves managing and analyzing company data.

> Their answer was not clueful and very abstract. They have an idea for a query engine
without any idea how to get data into the engine. Anyone with a clue would choose to use Apache
Solr, Lucene, or something in the Hadoop cluster of projects over VXQuery.

> However if you think that a viable community and project is happening give it a try.
>
> But you should also look back to over a year ago when they got another chance. How many
another chances and mentor reboots should we give a project?