incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Creation of the Incubator Ombudsman
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2013 23:41:35 GMT
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> I like the concept of "welcoming committee". I think most people do.

I like the idea of a "welcoming committee", too.

> The IPMC is supposed to be that welcoming committee.

Yes.

> Problem is, IMHO, its
> sheet size and diversity of opinion makes it pretty unwelcoming and often
> contradictory in its advice - even when that advice is written in documents.

Hmm, I suppose that's true -- but isn't also a problem if the "welcoming
committee" waits passively for people to seek out its services, rather than
actively welcoming newcomers?

There's a new Samza podling setting up this week.  Who might send a "Welcome
to the Incubator" email to their dev list, and what might it say?

*   Read <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WhatToExpect>.
*   Ask on general@incubator if you need help.
*   If you have a question you're not comfortable asking in a public forum
    like general@incubator, ask a Mentor or any other member of the Incubator
    PMC.

Marvin Humphrey