incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Followup to VXQuery July 2013 report
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:21:16 GMT
(continuing a conversation which is cross-posted to general@incubator and

Hi VXQuery developers,

It's been a month since this exchange about how to succeed in the Incubator
has passed:

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Marvin Humphrey
<> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Till Westmann <> wrote:
>> Yes, release votes are one point, another point is that we could probably
>> avoid asking for votes for more than one RC on general@i.a.o if we had more
>> ASF-experienced eyes looking at it on the dev list.
>> Wrt to the other points you mentioned, collaboration seems generally
>> effective (albeit not always on the list), technical infrastructure is not a
>> big problem, and most things I learn about ASF culture I learn from
>> discussions on general@i.a.o.
>> I think that the mentor activity that we could benefit from is the
>> occasional benevolent hint on how to make things work more smoothly within
>> the ASF.
> OK, I'll indulge, then[1]. :)
> I think you're right to prioritize getting a release out the door.  Releases
> are important not just for the features, but also for regenerating the energy
> around a product in the wider community.  "Real artists ship." -- Steve Jobs
> Since you've made it as far as creating two release candidates, presumably
> there is not anything structural (such as a stalled code grant) holding things
> up.  Here's where the two previous release candidate vote threads ended:
> Getting a first incubating release out can be labor-intensive and the process
> is sometimes frustrating.  Wrangling IPMC votes is a hassle, and it gets
> harder the longer a podling is incubation because Mentors, like all
> open-source contributors, come and go.  Even for podling contributors who are
> truly voracious consumers of Apache documentation, it's hard to produce a
> release candidate which encounters no objections from IPMC members.
> Nevertheless, dozens of other podlings have bulled their way through this
> phase.  The IPMC may not be as efficient or as coherent as we would like it to
> be; things may not go "smoothly".  However, if there is sufficient energy
> behind VXQuery (and no legal blockers with regards to the code base), your
> release *will* get through eventually.  And while occasionally a podling will
> have a Mentor who brings that kind of energy, that's not our expectation for
> those who fill the Mentor role -- most often, it is the podling's core
> contributors who must provide the push and sustain the momentum.
> Marvin Humphrey
> [1] We sometimes have problems where IPMC members who are not Mentors assigned
>     to a specific podling provide guidance which is at odds with what the
>     podling's Mentors have advised.  Let's hope that the content of this mail
>     is suitably general and non-controversial.

Since then, there have been a total of 4 commits and 4 messages to vxquery-dev.

Let me be blunt: VXQuery needs to make an incubating release.

Personally, I think it's important that we see one before your next quarterly

Marvin Humphrey

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message