incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Olingo proposal as an incubating project
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2013 17:28:12 GMT
HI Alan,

If you are on then I am +1.

Thanks,
Dave

On Jul 7, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I can help here.
>

> Regards,
> Alan
>
> On Jul 7, 2013, at 9:59 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> While excited by this technology and project, I have to be -1.
>>
>> Why? A project should start with at least 3 mentors. AFAIK I am the only Mentor other
than Florian.

>> If someone volunteers, my -1 will become a +1, instantly.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> On Jul 1, 2013, at 3:38 AM, Florian Müller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'd like to call a VOTE for acceptance of Olingo into the Apache incubator.
>>>
>>> The proposal is pasted at the bottom on this email.
>>> The corresponding wiki page is: http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OlingoProposal
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Accept Olingo into the Apache incubator
>>> [ ] +0 Don't care.
>>> [ ] -1 Don't accept Olingo into the incubator because...
>>>
>>> +1 from me (binding)
>>>
>>> I'll close the VOTE next Sunday.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Florian
>>>

>>> = Apache Olingo Proposal =
>>>
>>> === Abstract ===
>>>
>>> Apache Olingo is a generic Java language implementation of the OData 2.0 specification
which will serve as a code base for the upcoming OASIS OData specification.

>>> === Proposal ===
>>>
>>> The Open Data Protocol (OData) [1] is a Web protocol for querying and updating
data that provides a way to unlock your data and free it from silos that exist in applications
today. OData does this by applying and building upon Web technologies such as HTTP, Atom Publishing
Protocol (AtomPub) and JSON to provide access to information from a variety of applications,
services, and stores.

>>> The Apache Olingo is a library which enables developers to implement OData producers
and OData consumers. Basic principles of the library are to provide an OData 2.0 specification
compliant OData Library, enhancements shall be possible in a compatible manner, have a clear
separation between Core and API, to provide an option to build extensions on top. This library
should be base for implementing future releases of the specification.

>>> === Background ===
>>>
>>> OData was originally developed by Microsoft and is released in a version 2.0
under an Open Specification Promise [2]. A lot of companies did show interests in this protocol,
used it in products and gave feedback back to Microsoft. This joined effort resulted in a
new release OData 3.0 in 2012, this version became the basis for the OASIS technical committee
[3] which is currently working on a new version of the specification. This OASIS standard
release is expected this year.

>>> The initial Java code of this project was developed by a development team that
had already experience with other OData 2.0 and 3.0 implementations at SAP AG. The current
code base implements OData 2.0 and because of this version is widely used it is a good starting
point to build an open source community for the OData standard.

>>> The current code also comes up with an implementation of an OData sample service.
On the one side this is an example for users which want to use the library to expose their
own data and on the other side it illustrates how implemented features work.

>>> Additionally, the code base includes an extension which is called JPA processor.
With this extension it is easy to expose any JPA persistence model via OData protocol without
a lot of coding.

>>> === Rationale ===
>>>
>>> More software vendors moving to OData means more choice for customers who will
be able to use different implementations. For the standard to succeed, however, ensuring interoperability
is paramount: in order to manage an ever growing context and leverage the enormous portability
and interoperability issues that a globally adopted standard brings, it is necessary to think
about how to make the related ecosystem healthy and sustainable. Successful modern standards
are driven by:

>>> Clear documentation, built iteratively with continuous feedback from stakeholders
>>> A clearly defined compatibility process, enforced by tools that allow to gauge
how implementations can be compatible and interoperable
>>> Accurate compliance criteria, documented in writing as well as in actual testing
code that measure how tools and libraries are able to interoperate
>>> A sample implementation to clear up potential doubts and ensure that the standard
can actually be implemented in real life scenarios
>>> The above mentioned pieces are able to make the development activity, towards
an OData implementation, easier and more successful. Having an healthy ecosystem will ensure
a smoother implementation process, more compliant products, and ultimately, a wider adoption
of the standard.

>>> The OData ecosystem has been successful in creating and documenting early versions
of the standard, yet it might potentially lack two very important aspects, that is a exhaustive
implementation of the complete protocol that can be used productively and to ensure interoperability.
As much as such artifacts can be developed independently by any OData proponent, the value
of having a neutral party as a steward of actual code is to be considered. The Apache Software
Foundation has been playing this kind of role for many years, and can provide the perfect
environment to foster contributions on the OData theme with a great amount of expertise.

>>> === Initial Goals ===
>>>
>>> Implement OData 2.0, make it final and mature
>>> Start implementation of OASIS OData draft specification
>>> Provide input and feedback for the draft specification to the OASIS OData TC
based on implementation
>>> Implement OData add-ons (library extensions and toolset)
>>>
>>> == Current Status ==
>>>
>>> === Meritocracy ===
>>>
>>> Most of the initial committers are open source developers with different experience
levels and many of them have already worked in other open source or Apache projects. We will
follow standard Apache procedures in accepting new contributors to the project team.

>>> === Community ===
>>>
>>> Managed by an OASIS Technical Committee, the OData standard definition should
be based on the idea of a community driven effort.

>>> Apache Olingo aims to be a community driven initiative in developing a Java OData
implementation. Such an approach is allowing more transparency and direct feedback even within
the definition and improvement of OData specifications.

>>> We encourage everyone interested in OData to join the Apache Olingo effort.
>>>
>>> === Core Developers ===
>>>
>>> The development team is international and they have all strong skills in OData
protocol. Jens Huesken who is member of the OASIS OData TC is providing specification feedback
since OData 2.0. Stephan Klevenz, also a OASIS OData TC member, was a committer of the Apache
Chemistry project. He has experience with the Incubator and Apache and was also a speaker
on ApacheCon 2012 in Vancouver. Christian Amend, Michael Bolz and Tamara Boehm did implement
core parts of the library. Chandan V A, Anirban Roy, Chitresh Chauhan, Jobin John and Joerg
Singler are working on the JPA processor add on.

>>> === Alignment ===
>>>
>>> The project builds with Apache Maven, the core runtime requires Apache CXF for
REST binding (JAX-RS) and the sample scenario can be deployed into any compliant Servlet or
J2EE container like Apache Tomcat. Furthermore we see OData protocol as an option to be supported
by other Apache projects that have to expose data via a standardized protocol based interface.

>>> == Known Risks ==
>>>
>>> === Orphaned products ===
>>>
>>> Apache Olingo is a fresh new codebase that targets the still moving OData standardization
effort. Thus the future of this project depends heavily on the success of the standard. We
hope and expect that our implementation efforts will strengthen and support the OData standard.

>>> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>>>
>>> Some of the initial committers are experienced open source developers. But there
are also committers which are new to open source.

>>> === Homogenous Developers ===
>>>
>>> The initial committers are from SAP working in different teams. One team is from
Germany and has implemented the core parts of the library and the other team is from India
and has implemented the JPA processor add-on.

>>> === Reliance of Salaried Developers ===
>>>
>>> All of the initial committers are paid by SAP to work on this or related projects.
>>>
>>> === Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
>>>
>>> Apache Olingo will directly use at least the following projects:
>>>
>>> * Apache CXF - for REST bindings
>>> * Apache Commons - for encoding/decoding
>>>
>>> Other Apache projects may be interested in using Apache Olingo to add OData support
once the standard is final. List of potential integrators:

>>> * Apache Bloodhound
>>>
>>> === An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===
>>>
>>> We value Apache as a neutral place where diverse communities can work together
on implementing shared standards. We hope that this part of the Apache brand helps attract
contributions from many potential OData standard consumers. However, the brand value is not
the main reason why we prefer to have this project at Apache.

>>> == Documentation ==
>>>
>>> This project is still at an early stage, so there is not much documentation available.
See the OASIS OData page and odata.org web site for information about the OData standardization
effort.

>>> == Initial Source ==
>>>
>>> https://github.com/SAP/cloud-odata-java
>>> https://www.ohloh.net/p/cloud-odata-java
>>> Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan
>>>
>>> The complete code is under Apache Software License 2.
>>>
>>> == External Dependencies ==
>>>
>>> All the external dependencies of the initial codebases comply with Apache licensing
policies.

>>> == Cryptography ==
>>>
>>> Apache Olingo is not expected to implement or use cryptographic code.
>>>
>>> == Required Resources ==
>>>
>>> === Mailing lists ===
>>>
>>> olingo-dev'at'incubator.apache.org
>>> olingo-commits'at'incubator.apache.org