incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanj...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accept Stratos as an Apache Incubation Project
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2013 00:09:24 GMT
On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com>wrote:

> > == Known Risks ==
> > Stratos has largely been developed by sponsored developers employed at
> > a single organization - WSO2.  Seeking a broader community of
> > contributors is a top goal of contributing Stratos to Apache.
> > WSO2 plans to continue to offer services and commercial support
> > packages for Stratos, so there is a financial incentive to broaden
> > Stratos’ appeal.  This may provide the misinterpretation that Stratos
> > remains merely a WSO2 technology.  However, WSO2’s main business
> > strategy is to build and support higher level PaaS offerings
> > (including the WSO2 middleware stack) on top of a common PaaS
> > framework, as provided by Stratos.  This includes a WSO2 StratosLive
> > option which is a public PaaS based on WSO2 Stratos.
>
> Kudos for the honest self-analysis.

Thanks :-).

I wonder whether Apache Brand Management would cry foul on a trademark like
> "StratosLive" if such a product were to appear later because of the
> "confusingly similar name" guideline.  We've seen project founders leave
> and
> compete with ASF products while using confusingly similar names before,
> e.g.
> CouchBase.

Yeah we also thought about that .. if StratosLive is too close to home we
can certainly change it. Bit painful but not impossible.

If a "top goal" is "seeking a broader community of contributors", the
> project
> might benefit if it could find a way to reassure potential contributors on
> this matter.  Perhaps the name for the WS02 product should be vetted in
> advance?

Yep can do - our current thinking is to have a WSO2 distribution that
contains Apache Stratos and includes all of our middleware products (app
server, esb, etc. etc.). That is, a PaaS built on the PaaS framework from
Apache.

The thinking is to not give that a specific name but rather call it the
WSO2 distribution of Apache Stratos (or something like that).

Shane do you have thoughts on that? That idea is based on what some others
do and it seems to me is clear enough that its not just the Apache code
being redistributed but has more stuff. Analogous to Redhat being a Linux
distribution.

Cheers,

Sanjiva.
--