incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accept Stratos as an Apache Incubation Project
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 15:38:37 GMT
On 14 June 2013 15:42, Mattmann, Chris A (398J)
<> wrote:
> Those are "concerns/issues" with the Incubator. They aren't
> a proposal of what to do.
 For concrete suggestions about how to address the issues in the wiki
take a look at the "solutions" section under each issue. All issue
have at least one suggestion, many have more.

> * pTLP are nothing different than what existed before there was an
> Incubator.

Sorry Chris, I disagree. It is *very* different. Where it isn't so
different is in cases where there are plenty of experienced and active
mentors (I believe Stratos is one such case which is why I proposed it
as a test case).

> * This is an incremental step in the deconstruction proposal.

Not for me it isn't. It's an incremental step towards finding the
merits in your proposal for a specific type of project. I have never
supported the deconstruction proposal and I trust people (including
the board when the IPMC makes its recommendations) are clear on this.
My championing of this proposal should not be seen as a championing of
the whole deconstruction idea.

> Note, Ross was one of the most vocal discussers, seeing both the
> merit and potential pitfalls of my proposal. In short, if I've got
> Ross convinced enough to at least try it, then give it a chance.

The only thing you have convinced me of is that there is no
opportunity to find the merits while this pTLP idea is wrapped up in
the larger deconstruction proposal.

I made this clear in the initial proposal of the idea and I made it
clear in my response to Jim. I'm making it clear again here.

I want to expose the merits and avoid the pitfalls of your larger
proposal. I am *not* adding my weight to your larger proposal. I am
merely moving past an incomplete wiki page with practical activity. I
will do the same with many of the other proposals that have merit
(e.g. Ant has started to build momentum behind his tooling
suggestions, |I hope to help there too).