incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] OData Proposal for Incubator
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2013 16:27:44 GMT
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> I think there will be an issue with regard to trademarks and you will have to deal with
folks seeing the trademark of "Apache OData" as a land-grab at "OData" itself.  The simplicity
you think is avoiding confusion is, in that respect, causing confusion.

> In any case, it is always wise to avoid confusion of a (standard) specification, even
OASIS Standard OData v3.0 or whatever, with the name of an implementation.  OASIS is going
to make their own claims about some of those terms as well, if the past practice is any guide.

Existing counter examples here at the ASF: c++ standard library,
commons, directory, logging, traffic server, uima, web services, xml;
with uima being particularly relevant.

>  - Dennis
>
> The ODF Toolkit snuck by, much to my dismay, even capturing odf as their incubator repository
name, but they may have to deal with that to graduate to a TLP.

- Sam Ruby