incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accept Stratos as an Apache Incubation Project
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 23:32:50 GMT
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 2:10 AM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> It's with great pleasure that I invite the IPMC to review a new
> proposal [1] for the Apache Incubator. Please let us know if you have
> any questions or comments - as you will see there are plenty of people
> on the initial commit list ready and willing to answer your questions.

It is certainly a large group and a thoroughly prepared proposal with a lot of
resources behind it.

> == Known Risks ==
> Stratos has largely been developed by sponsored developers employed at
> a single organization - WSO2.  Seeking a broader community of
> contributors is a top goal of contributing Stratos to Apache.
> WSO2 plans to continue to offer services and commercial support
> packages for Stratos, so there is a financial incentive to broaden
> Stratos’ appeal.  This may provide the misinterpretation that Stratos
> remains merely a WSO2 technology.  However, WSO2’s main business
> strategy is to build and support higher level PaaS offerings
> (including the WSO2 middleware stack) on top of a common PaaS
> framework, as provided by Stratos.  This includes a WSO2 StratosLive
> option which is a public PaaS based on WSO2 Stratos.

Kudos for the honest self-analysis.

I wonder whether Apache Brand Management would cry foul on a trademark like
"StratosLive" if such a product were to appear later because of the
"confusingly similar name" guideline.  We've seen project founders leave and
compete with ASF products while using confusingly similar names before, e.g.
CouchBase.

If a "top goal" is "seeking a broader community of contributors", the project
might benefit if it could find a way to reassure potential contributors on
this matter.  Perhaps the name for the WS02 product should be vetted in
advance?

  http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

> === Mailing Lists ===
>  1. dev@stratos.incubator.apache.org - for developer/user discussions,
>  JIRA change notifications & continuous build/test notifications
>  2. commits@stratos.incubator.apache.org - for commit mails

It's a technicality, but the podling would also need a private@ list.
Since there's only a combined dev/user list to start with though, obviously
some thought has gone into this. :)

Marvin Humphrey