incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Creation of the Incubator Ombudsman
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2013 04:02:03 GMT
On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Joseph Schaefer
<joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This argument reminds me of the current debate in Congress about whether or
> not military sex offense reporting should remain within the chain of
> command. Proponents argue that it's hard to hold commanders accountable if
> they aren't empowered to act; adversaries say victims are afraid to report
> while retribution remains possible.

I don't agree with that line of reasoning because the PMC Chair is not
supposed to be the commanding officer of a project.  I think it's an abuse of
the position to act that way, and personally, I do not covet that power.  To
my mind, the analogy with the military justice system does not apply because
the PMC chair is *only* the ombud, not the commander.

If others consider that view of the PMC Chair role too idealistic, I guess I
find that disappointing.  But maybe it's so tempting to wield the VP title to
further your own agenda that having some percentage of Apache PMC Chairs fail
as ombud is a statistical certainty.

If the IPMC arrives at a consensus that an independent ombud is necessary, so
be it.  Until that time, I consider that role the chair's responsibility as
part of the instruction to "ensure that everyone has a chance to be heard"[1].
Should the Board pass the resolution appointing me as IPMC Chair on Wednesday,
I think anyone who has read my posts over the years knows that I'd pursue the
task with zeal.

Marvin Humphrey

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair