incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Incubator reorg ideas: sub-groups per technology?
Date Sat, 15 Jun 2013 15:09:55 GMT

On Jun 14, 2013, at 3:58 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> I.e. while the IPMC or ComDev or whoever would still set policy and provide community
best practice guidance.  But then separate mailing lists/groups would provide actual oversight
of podlings (incoming, mentoring, graduating).  These would be based on rough technology areas:
java, hadoop, servers, UI, whatever.

Mmmm, more mailing lists.  There's a selling point.  ;)

You know, when I mentor a podling, I should't care what the technology is.  (I learned the
hard way about having an interest in the actual technology of the podling and have generated
ill will as a result)

A mentor can tell if a community "gets it" without having to know the technology.  If anything,
mentors who know the technology should not be allowed to mentor that project; an academic
position, to be sure, given the dearth of active mentors.

Regards,
Alan