incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Klevenz, Stephan" <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] OData Proposal for Incubator
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 13:33:34 GMT
Hi Dennis,

Sorry for coming back so late to your valuable feedback. After re-thinking
about the trademark issue and your thoughts about confusion we come to
conclusion to use a different name for the project. I would like to change
our project name to

Apache Olingo

Olingo is a little bear [1] and that name should avoid any confusion with
the OASIS standard or any other potential trademark holder. If there are
no concerns then I will go and change our proposal to Apache Olingo.

On 18.06.13 15:58, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <> wrote:

>I think there will be an issue with regard to trademarks and you will
>have to deal with folks seeing the trademark of "Apache OData" as a
>land-grab at "OData" itself.  The simplicity you think is avoiding
>confusion is, in that respect, causing confusion.
>In any case, it is always wise to avoid confusion of a (standard)
>specification, even OASIS Standard OData v3.0 or whatever, with the name
>of an implementation.  OASIS is going to make their own claims about some
>of those terms as well, if the past practice is any guide.
> - Dennis
>The ODF Toolkit snuck by, much to my dismay, even capturing odf as their
>incubator repository name, but they may have to deal with that to
>graduate to a TLP.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message