incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Klevenz, Stephan" <stephan.klev...@sap.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] OData Proposal for Incubator
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:35:59 GMT
Dear ASF members,

We would like to propose the OData project to the Incubator.

The OData Proposal is available at: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ODataProposal

We welcome your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks!

Stephan Klevenz

= Apache OData =

=== Abstract ===

Apache OData is a generic Java language implementation of the OData 2.0 specification which
will serve as a code base for the upcoming OASIS OData specification.

=== Proposal ===

The Open Data Protocol (OData) [1] is a Web protocol for querying and updating data that provides
a way to unlock your data and free it from silos that exist in applications today. OData does
this by applying and building upon Web technologies such as HTTP, Atom Publishing Protocol
(AtomPub) and JSON to provide access to information from a variety of applications, services,
and stores.

The Apache OData is a library which enables developers to implement OData producers and OData
consumers. Basic principles of the library are to provide an OData 2.0 specification compliant
OData Library, enhancements shall be possible in a compatible manner, have a clear separation
between Core and API, to provide an option to build extensions on top. This library should
be base for implementing future releases of the specification.

=== Background ===

OData was originally developed by Microsoft and is released in a version 2.0 under an Open
Specification Promise [2]. A lot of companies did show interests in this protocol, used it
in products and gave feedback back to Microsoft. This joined effort resulted in a new release
OData 3.0 in 2012, this version became the basis for the OASIS technical committee [3] which
is currently working on a new version of the specification. This OASIS standard release is
expected this year.

The initial Java code of this project was developed by a development team that had already
experience with other OData 2.0 and 3.0 implementations at SAP AG. The current code base implements
OData 2.0 and because of this version is widely used it is a good starting point to build
an open source community for the OData standard.

The current code also comes up with an implementation of an OData sample service. On the one
side this is an example for users which want to use the library to expose their own data and
on the other side it illustrates how implemented features work.

Additionally, the code base includes an extension which is called JPA processor. With this
extension it is easy to expose any JPA persistence model via OData protocol without a lot
of coding.

=== Rationale ===

More software vendors moving to OData means more choice for customers who will be able to
use different implementations. For the standard to succeed, however, ensuring interoperability
is paramount: in order to manage an ever growing context and leverage the enormous portability
and interoperability issues that a globally adopted standard brings, it is necessary to think
about how to make the related ecosystem healthy and sustainable. Successful modern standards
are driven by:

 * Clear documentation, built iteratively with continuous feedback from stakeholders
 * A clearly defined compatibility process, enforced by tools that allow to gauge how implementations
can be compatible and interoperable
 * Accurate compliance criteria, documented in writing as well as in actual testing code that
measure how tools and libraries are able to interoperate
 * A sample implementation to clear up potential doubts and ensure that the standard can actually
be implemented in real life scenarios

The above mentioned pieces are able to make the development activity, towards an OData implementation,
easier and more successful. Having an healthy ecosystem will ensure a smoother implementation
process, more compliant products, and ultimately, a wider adoption of the standard.

The OData ecosystem has been successful in creating and documenting early versions of the
standard, yet it might potentially lack two very important aspects, that is a exhaustive implementation
of the complete protocol that can be used productively and to ensure interoperability. As
much as such artifacts can be developed independently by any OData proponent, the value of
having a neutral party as a steward of actual code is to be considered. The Apache Software
Foundation has been playing this kind of role for many years, and can provide the perfect
environment to foster contributions on the OData theme with a great amount of expertise.

=== Initial Goals ===

 * Implement OData 2.0, make it final and mature
 * Start implementation of OASIS OData draft specification
 * Provide input and feedback for the draft specification to the OASIS OData TC based on implementation
 * Implement OData add-ons (library extensions and toolset)

== Current Status ==

=== Meritocracy ===

Most of the initial committers are open source developers with different experience levels
and many of them have already worked in other open source or Apache projects. We will follow
standard Apache procedures in accepting new contributors to the project team.

=== Community ===

Managed by an OASIS Technical Committee, the OData standard definition should be based on
the idea of a community driven effort.

Apache OData aims to be a community driven initiative in developing a Java OData implementation.
Such an approach is allowing more transparency and direct feedback even within the definition
and improvement of OData specifications.

We encourage everyone interested in OData to join the Apache OData effort.

=== Core Developers ===

The development team is international and they have all strong skills in OData protocol. Jens
Huesken who is member of the OASIS OData TC is providing specification feedback since OData
2.0. Stephan Klevenz, also a OASIS OData TC member, was a committer of the Apache Chemistry
project. He has experience with the Incubator and Apache and was also a speaker on ApacheCon
2012 in Vancouver. Christian Amend, Michael Bolz and Tamara Boehm did implement core parts
of the library. Chandan V A, Anirban Roy, Chitresh Chauhan, Jobin John and Joerg Singler are
working on the JPA processor add on.

=== Alignment ===

The project builds with Apache Maven, the core runtime requires Apache CXF for REST binding
(JAX-RS) and the sample scenario can be deployed into any compliant Servlet or J2EE container
like Apache Tomcat. Furthermore we see OData protocol as an option to be supported by other
Apache projects that have to expose data via a standardized protocol based interface.

== Known Risks ==

=== Orphaned products ===

Apache OData is a fresh new codebase that targets the still moving OData standardization effort.
Thus the future of this project depends heavily on the success of the standard. We hope and
expect that our implementation efforts will strengthen and support the OData standard.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===

Some of the initial committers are experienced open source developers. But there are also
committers which are new to open source.

=== Homogenous Developers ===

The initial committers are from SAP working in different teams. One team is from Germany and
has implemented the core parts of the library and the other team is from India and has implemented
the JPA processor add-on.

=== Reliance of Salaried Developers ===

All of the initial committers are paid by SAP to work on this or related projects.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===

Apache OData will directly use at least the following projects:

 * Apache CXF - for REST bindings
 * Apache Commons - for encoding/decoding

Other Apache projects may be interested in using Apache OData to add OData support once the
standard is final.

=== An Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ===

We value Apache as a neutral place where diverse communities can work together on implementing
shared standards. We hope that this part of the Apache brand helps attract contributions from
many potential OData standard consumers. However, the brand value is not the main reason why
we prefer to have this project at Apache.

== Documentation ==

This project is still at an early stage, so there is not much documentation available. See
the OASIS OData page and odata.org web site for information about the OData standardization
effort.

== Initial Source ==

 * [[https://github.com/SAP/cloud-odata-java]]
 * [[https://www.ohloh.net/p/cloud-odata-java]]

== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ==

The complete code is under Apache Software License 2.

== External Dependencies ==

All the external dependencies of the initial codebases comply with Apache licensing policies.

== Cryptography ==

Apache OData is not expected to implement or use cryptographic code.

== Required Resources ==

=== Mailing lists ===

 * odata-dev'at'incubator.apache.org
 * odata-commits'at'incubator.apache.org
 * odata-private'at'incubator.apache.org

=== Subversion Directory ===

writeable Git Repository (preferred)

    [[git://git.apache.org/odata.git]]

or SVN Directory

    [[https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/odata]]

=== Issue Tracking ===

    JIRA OData (OData)

=== Other Resources ===

    none

== Initial Committers ==

|| '''Name'''       || '''Email'''                 ||
|| Stephan Klevenz  || sklevenz'at'apache.org      ||
|| Jens Huesken     || jens.huesken'at'sap.com     ||
|| Christian Amend  || christian.amend'at'sap.com  ||
|| Michael Bolz     || michael.bolz'at'sap.com     ||
|| Tamara Boehm     || tamara.boehm'at'sap.com     ||
|| Chandan V A      || chandan.v.a'at'sap.com      ||
|| Anirban Roy      || anirban.roy'at'sap.com      ||
|| Chitresh Chauhan || chitresh.chauhan'at'sap.com ||
|| Jobin John       || jobin.john'at'sap.com       ||
|| Joerg Singler    || joerg.singler'at'sap.com    ||

== Affiliations ==

|| '''Name'''          || '''Affilitation''' ||
|| Stephan Klevenz     || SAP AG       ||
|| Jens Huesken        || SAP AG       ||
|| Christian Amend     || SAP AG       ||
|| Michael Bolz        || SAP AG       ||
|| Tamara Boehm        || SAP AG       ||
|| Chandan V A         || SAP AG       ||
|| Anirban Roy         || SAP AG       ||
|| Chitresh Chauhan    || SAP AG       ||
|| Jobin John          || SAP AG       ||
|| Joerg Singler       || SAP AG       ||

== Sponsors ==

Champion

 * Florian Mueller

Nominated Mentors