incubator-general mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] PodlingBillOfRights
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:16:48 GMT
Since I realize that most of you can't be
bothered to look at the wiki page I created ;-),
I'll go ahead and post the current content
here for commentary.  I hope the bulk of it
is non-controversial, though some of it may
not belong on the page...

First a clarification- as provisional constructs of the Incubator PMC, podlings have no official
standing in the corporation known as The Apache Software Foundation. So technically, it is
a farce to claim that podlings have any formal rights whatsoever. What we write about here
are promises and covenants the Incubator PMC will make a good-faith effort to honor.

    1. First, podlings have a right to expect active participation and guidance from their
mentors. That minimally includes participation in release votes, discussions and votes on
new personnel, and signing off on a podling's quarterly reports.

    2. Mentoring is done solely for the podling's benefit, and as such podlings have the
right to fire mentors for any reason by a majority consensus vote on their private list. Just
don't be denigrating about it, since mentors are always volunteers and not paid staff.

    3. Podlings who find themselves in need of additional mentors have the right to ask
general@incubator for more mentors to volunteer.

    4. Podlings have the right to expect their quarterly reports to be read, reviewed, and
critiqued by "shepherds" on the Incubator PMC, who are typically outside the podling's set
of mentors.

    5. Podlings have the right to express private concerns about anything related to their
incubation to the Incubator Ombudsman <ombudsman@incubator>, who will handle such communications
as if they were sent anonymously.

    6. Podlings have the right to express their opinions concerning their incubation efforts
post-graduation (or post-mortem) in the form of an anonymous survey.

    7. Podlings have the right to ignore commentary made on general@incubator in the middle
of a VOTE thread, especially during releases. Reminder- release votes are a majority consensus
vote, so seeing a few -1's occasionally is expected and often ignorable by the RM should they
otherwise see a majority of at least 3 binding IPMC votes.

Any relevant policy/process changes will be passed along by the podling's mentors.