incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: [META DISCUSS] talking about the overall state of this PMC
Date Fri, 10 May 2013 17:45:03 GMT
Lean startup approaches make sense when you do not know the problem that you're solving.  You
perform experiments and pivot as you blindly search for a domain whose problems you can solve
and make money doing it.

Here, we know what our problems are.

This is not to say that we should not collect metrics.

However, we barely have enough energy to keep things going as it is.  We don't have the bandwidth
to perform multiple experiments.

Regards,
Alan

On May 10, 2013, at 9:33 AM, Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com> wrote:

> If this was a software project, and the appropriate answer was unknown, they you might
apply a "lean startup" approach, and figure out how to run tests to see which way works best.

> Given the number of incubating projects, should be easy to run some experiments. Then
you just need to build up some consensus on how to run the experiments. And how to evaluate
the results. Essential to establish some metrics that will correlate with success. Then run
the experiments for a while (three months, six months?). At the end, you'll have actual data
that will inform a decision.