incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mohammad Nour El-Din <nour.moham...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Looking for a Champion
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 08:25:13 GMT
Hi Tom

   The proposal looks pretty interesting on the technical level indeed, but
when it comes to ASF it is more about building (or trying to guarantee) of
community around a project so it can continue and evolve and does not die,
in terms of the code being maintained and used

Yes Incubator is about being an intermediate step for a project to come
into the ASF, but it is more about helping an already existing community,
which IMHO and from what I have seen from projects in the Incubator that
initial community should be big enough (I would say at least three real
active committers) to start proposing the project into the Incubator

I have mentored a project before which was more than appealing technical
wise and they already had big enough community (three committers) but by
the time after just coming into the Incubator their
availability severely changed and the project could not make it

I would suggest to wait a bit and build more awareness about the project
and get more enough people around and then continue with the proposal to
ASF Incubator, if you would like and allow me I can help in that