incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [META DISCUSS] talking about the overall state of this PMC
Date Sat, 11 May 2013 16:44:59 GMT
Violating my 24 hour rule just this one, and worse yet to repeat myself:

+1 Joe, Ross, etc.

I rather regret mentioning the direct launch alternative in my most
recent email. We have some weakness in _mentoring_, and more weakness
in _supervising_ (or at least in documenting supervision). We have a
few competing proposals for changes to address these, especially
supervision weakness. I wish that I felt confident as Joe does that
just electing more people from inside the projects was all we needed
to do; maybe Alan's idea combined with that is the way to go.

Recently we had a situation on private where I felt that there was a
consensus to be had, but some people needed to be nudged a bit to
allow it to emerge. That's not what I see here when considering the
choices of using more or less of shepherds, champions, and mentors.
One possible path is that, at some point, I as VP pick one. I plan to
let this discussion continue for at least a week, if not more, before
I remotely consider taking that step.

I think it's clear, though, that _this committee_ does not believe in
the 'direct-to-PMC' model, so anyone interested in that alternative
should talk elsewhere and/or with the board, as per Ant's message.