incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [META DISCUSS] talking about the overall state of this PMC
Date Sat, 11 May 2013 18:56:58 GMT

> If you think it's clear in either direction, call a VOTE. I think that's
> the only demonstrable way to suggest what's clear and what's not.

Please see several emails from Greg and others on the board@ list
recently pointing out the inappropriateness of overuse of votes.

If even *one* person strongly objects, there is no consensus. There is
a strong handful of people who strongly object. So there's no
consensus. This isn't a majority issue.

I don't uniquely own the role of testing consensus. If you want to
send a message that tests consensus on your proposal, or more
accurately tests consensus on the idea of asking the board for
permission to do a trial run of your proposal, go right ahead. I feel
confident that it will attract enough firm -1 votes to demonstrate a
lack of consensus in favor of the idea.