incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [META DISCUSS] talking about the overall state of this PMC
Date Thu, 09 May 2013 07:34:39 GMT
Sent from a mobile device, please excuse mistakes and brevity
On 8 May 2013 02:20, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Ross Gardler
> <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:
> > ...I've made a proposal for giving the IPMC teeth but it hasn't gained
> > support..
>
> URL?

Sorry, working from mobile device while travelling. I proposed creating a
board like structure and formalising shepherd role. Very similar to Chris'
proposal but leaving overhead with IPMC rather than moving to board.

> > ...In the absence of something else with teeth then I'm +1 for
> > probationary TLPs as proposed by Chris as long as we stop accepting
> > projects that are likely to run into problems according to our
> > collective experience....
>
> If you're able to find out that a podling will cause problems in the
> future, or that its mentors will become inactive, maybe I should hire
> you for this lottery betting club ;-)

Hehe - fair comment. I was thinking, for example, of BlueSky - the archives
show my concern that was ignored and ultimately shown to be right. A
counter example is OpenMeetings who addressed my concerns, came back and
graduated quickly and smoothly. I'm not suggesting its always possible to
get it right, but I do think we can be more rigorous in general.

> Apart from that I agree that the board doesn't have cycles to handle
> problematic podlings or missing mentors, and as a result whatever
> actions it would take would be much harsher than what we do here.

That's the more important point.

Ross