incubator-general mailing list archives

From Joseph Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [META DISCUSS] talking about the overall state of this PMC
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 05:00:01 GMT
You go girl! Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 8, 2013, at 12:54 AM, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On May 7, 2013, at 4:03 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:45 AM, Alan Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>>> ...Let's get rid of champions and shepherds and hold the mentors to their responsibilities....
>>
>> The problem with mentors is when you have 5 of them it's unclear who's
>> in charge exactly.
>
> Why does someone need to be in charge?  The real problem is that we have five mentors
four, or more, of which do not do the job to which they signed up for.

> All we're doing is shuffling responsibilities around with the hopes that the next person
will be more responsible than the previous one.

>> The goal of the champion's role clarification was to have a single
>> point of contact and responsibility for contacts with the incubator
>> PMC - similar to a project's PMC chair role.
>>
>> So basically you have:
>>
>> A champion, who's a mentor, but also the primary point of contact with
>> the IPMC, makes sure reports are done in time and watches the podling
>> for lack of mentoring if that happens.
>>
>> Mentors, who are primarily tasked with coaching the podling.
>
> I'm hearing Benson's proposal accurately rephrased.
>
> We're pushing responsibilities which seemed "too much" for three or more mentors over
to a single mentor and diluting the responsibilities into non-accountable tasks such as coaching.

> What I'm worried about is that were merely shuffling responsibilities around without
really coming to a consensus as to what to do when volunteers don't do the job they signed
up for.  Until we have an answer for that we'll continuously have this conversation every
other quarter as we shuffle responsibilities around again.

> The myth that we seem to be holding dear is that we cannot hold volunteers accountable
for the tasks they signed up for.  Maybe if we did hold volunteers accountable , they would
take their responsibilities seriously and we would have a clearer picture as to what kind
of help to expect as we discuss the IPMCs problems.