incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <>
Subject Re: If I were king of the forest
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 18:33:28 GMT

On May 8, 2013, at 11:15 AM, Suresh Marru <> wrote:

>> Podlings would be required to have a minimum of two active mentors.  A mentor is
free to become inactive but must explicitly state this else the mentor risks being removed
for not performing their duties.  Podlings that do not have the minimum of two active mentors
are put on hold until they find enough mentors to fill the quota.  Being put on hold means
that no committers can be added, no PPMC members can be added, and no releases can be performed.
 It does not stop development.
>> People starting threads must provide editorial summaries else the thread is considered
to be a tree falling in the forest.  If you can't commit to providing summaries then you shouldn't
start threads that waste people's time.
>> Releases need +1 votes from the two active mentors.  A subsequent 72 hour quiet period
would follow for IPMC members to vote as well.
> I am assuming (or rather hoping) the third vote will happen on the general list. Which
ever form the incubator (or lack of) shapes into, the general list is were I have seen the
most cross-fertizliation happens. I agree that we need to address releases not getting attention,
I felt the release trips to general were extremely educational. During incubation, this process
felt too painful and furstrating but looking back, release process and gets vastly improvised
during these iterations. And once set out on a right tone, its a matter of incrementally maintaining

The quite period may be a misnomer.  Since the release will have had two +1 votes from active
mentors, no further work is required to release.  The 72 hour period is for IPMC members to
also cast their vote if they so desire.

Inevitably bike shed issues pop in during this period but I agree that new podlings often
flush out new and unique situations.