incubator-general mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: If I were king of the forest
Date Wed, 08 May 2013 17:22:47 GMT
Mostly a lurker, but a quick reply...

On 5/8/13 2:53 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 3:31 AM, Alan Cabrera <adc@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>> Podlings would be required to have a minimum of two active mentors.  A mentor is
free to become inactive but must explicitly
>> state this else the mentor risks being removed for not performing their duties.
> I like it all.  A lot.  It's an attempt to solve the real problem.
> But how do you define "inactive" and how do you identify them and on
> what periodicity?  And, if they're a Member how long must such a
> person wait before re-signing up to be a mentor?

 From the original email: "they will perform their duties as out lined
in a clearly defined document." Based on what I see on the mailing list,
some of the functions seem clear:

- voting on releases

- commenting on reports

- assessing proposed committers

- ...

And, in order to facilitate continuous improvement over time, the
incubator as a whole could periodically survey random incubator
committers and determine whether they're getting the support they expect
from their mentors. That would serve two purposes - provide a routine
way to assess whether the expectations of the mentorees lines up with
the clearly documented role, and also assessing whether the randomly
chosen mentor is living up to their responsibilities.

One last suggested refinement:

At least two mentors, but perhaps not allow more than three, where the
third is generally a backup for the others in a transition period, such
as one of the mentors looking to shed their responsibilities. One point
that has come out of the discussion has been a lack of clear
responsibility. Adding more mentors dilutes that responsibility. Two
allows one as backup for the other.

Eric.