incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Shahaf <>
Subject Re: Writing some tooling
Date Tue, 14 May 2013 17:45:50 GMT
Alan Cabrera wrote on Tue, May 14, 2013 at 08:50:27 -0700:
> On May 10, 2013, at 10:58 AM, Alan Cabrera <> wrote:
> > I'm currently writing some tooling to help with the incubation process as well as
mail list moderator tools.

> > The first thing that I'm writing is a command that will print out who is the owner
of an email alias and what projects they belong to and if they are ASF members.  This will
help me vet subscription requests since people rarely use their ASF email accounts.

> > The tools will be written in Python.
> I'm done with this tool.  It also sends a rejected email to the user informing them that
they are not allowed to subscribe.  Things I need in this email are:
> URL of a web page describing out to add an alias to an account

"Alternate email address" field on  If that's documented
it'll be under

> URL of a web page describing mailing list membership policies

Members to everything except board-private@, root@, and vp-*@; IPMC
members to all podling lists; PMC chairs to board@.  There's also
a handful of "committers only" lists, and list owners can invite anyone
to subscribe to the list they operate through.

A fairly good approximation is this:

though it doesn't implement the "IPMC members can subscribe to any
podling list" rule.  (Patches welcome.)

> If these don't exist I am happy to write them.

Yes please :-)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message