incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [META DISCUSS] talking about the overall state of this PMC
Date Sat, 11 May 2013 18:03:19 GMT
It's often called a dead-man's switch.  I think the term applied originally to locomotive engineers
and also metro car drivers.  (I'm not sure what a dead pilot switch could accomplish in an
aircraft.)

I think having mentors review and "sign" PPMC status reports is an effective dead mentor's
switch [;<).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Cabrera [mailto:list@toolazydogs.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:10
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [META DISCUSS] talking about the overall state of this PMC

On May 11, 2013, at 7:33 AM, Joseph Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Frankly I find the notion that the board will do a better job of MENTORING
> these projects than the IPMC to be batshit insane, but that's just me.
> We need manpower, and there is plenty of that available amongst the competent
> volunteers who actively participate in these projects.  Let's just do
> what's easiest for once and promote these folks to the IPMC in order
> to get the job done right.  It's a proven model that we need to stop
> fighting.

Yes, shuttling the kids off the the grandparents is not going to solve anything.  If individuals
on the board have the bandwidth to help they should come over here. There's nothing specific
about the auspices of the board that would improve the situation.

I personally think that we have "almost" enough people to mentor.  I think that the burnout
comes from our constant churning of policy and lack of tooling to make mundane tasks easier.

For example, maybe
better reminders for reports
automatic nudging of mentors who have not signed reports
dead pilot buttons to detect inactive mentors (Is it called a dead pilot button)
maybe a standard to podling releases to make vetting easier - i.e. apply tooling
changes/additions to vetting procedures taking place outside of release votes. (ok not a tooling
issue)

Regards,
Alan