incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Process, policy and best practice
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 22:42:54 GMT
On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> The role of ComDev would not be to define policy, only to document and
> curate it. As Greg said when this first came up over a year ago - most of
> the actual writing is done.

There is no single source of policy for ComDev to document and curate -- there
are many conflicting interpretations of policy which are continually
relitigated year after year.

Consider what it took to assemble the licensing how-to at
<http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html>.  There was a fair amount of
debate once we had a draft (see LEGAL-155), but that's the tip of the iceberg
-- the real work was developing a sophisticated enough understanding of a
difficult issue to write up a draft which was inoculated against all major
objections and could withstand the review phase.

I expect that refining
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html> will be a
similarly challenging undertaking.

I don't see how what needs to be done can be achieved by anybody other than
volunteers with significant expertise and patience.

Marvin Humphrey