incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <>
Subject Re: No more existing-TLP graduations (was: [PROPOSAL] Curator for the Apache Incubator)
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 05:02:37 GMT
Hi Niall, and Greg,

Just to echo Greg, +1, yes would have preferred it to have happened in the
community then.

Also, agree with Greg -- exceptions can be permitted from time to time,
but I don't think
graduation into existing TLP should be an accepted norm.

On 3/1/13 8:55 PM, "Greg Stein" <> wrote:

>On Mar 1, 2013 8:33 PM, "Niall Pemberton" <>
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM, Greg Stein <> wrote:
>> > I concur with Chris, and want to strengthen/meta the point. The
>> > should not be used for projects which are intended to become part of
>> > existing TLP. The Incubator *creates* Apache-style communities. But...
>> >
>> > For these, we don't want a separate/new community. They are supposed
>> > *part of* the existing TLP. Thus, they have no business here. They
>> > start within the target TLP.
>> The incubation of WebWork into Struts is an example where there was an
>> existing project outside the ASF with an existing bunch of developers
>> that were not ASF committers. The point of going through the incubator
>> was for the communities to merge. I guess at the time we could have
>> just given comitt access to all WebWork devs - but most of us on the
>> Struts project didn't know them. Is that what you're proposing should
>> happen in this scenario?
>The Incubator doesn't have "staff". It really doesn't make sense to put a
>community in their hands. Either a community self-builds, or it should
>become part of an existing community.
>For the WebWorks case, I would rather have seen them get a branch in
>Struts. Over time, the features would get integrated from the branch to
>trunk, and the committers would get expanded commit access.
>I understand a project may arrive, thinking to become a TLP, but later
>change their desired exit. But I think it would be best to call that an
>exception. Instead, we let target communities directly teach the incomers
>about operating within their (our ASF-style) community.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message