incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Identifying and removing inactive mentors
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:05:21 GMT
Global +1 to what Upayavira said, then:

On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> So sure, let's not force out people who are having a bad month or
> something, but surely we should only be listing as mentors those that
> are actually paying some attention to the podling?

Actually it would be more respectful to the one who does the work.

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013, at 11:59 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>> I'd suggest a different approach, the motivation for this suggestion is
>> that I don't believe having inactive mentors is a problem if there is an
>> active one available. Everyone gets busy occasionally, should we really
>> be
>> kicking them off a podling when they have already expressed interest? At
>> next months report they might be the one who is active. They may have
>> been
>> active in the two months between reports. Etc.

I think it is unlikely that they were active between two reports and
then do not find a way to sign it.

I also meant we would ask them if they are there. They can justify
their absence. If we get not response then we can add an "inactive"
flag to podlings.xml.

>> In my opinion there is only a problem if nobody is looking or if the
>> podling community feels they are not getting the support they need.
>>
>> I therefore suggest reaching out to the podling rather than passing
>> judgement on the mentors.

If you start at Apache, how can you know what to expect from a mentor?
A mentor is (imho) not only there for helping with infra related
matters, he is also there to explain the Apache way. If a mentor helps
with Jira and then goes awol they podling might not know they are
missing something.

Your suggestion surely helps, but I think it is just another spice in
the soup. We should actively look for Mentors who are awol AND ask
podlings if they feel well supported.

I understand people are busy sometimes. But if one signs up for a
task/duty he can also tell others if he is not going to participate.
Its just a 10 second e-mail.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de