incubator-general mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] S4 0.6.0 Incubating Release Candidate 3
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:40:58 GMT
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 2:59 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 March 2013 20:57, Matthieu Morel <mmorel@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mar 27, 2013, at 21:00 , sebb wrote:
>>> On 27 March 2013 19:07, Matthieu Morel <mmorel@apache.org> wrote:
>> gradle/gradlew scripts to not have the ASL header because this is generated code.
>>
>> According to the RAT tool, generated code does not need to bear the license header.
>
> The RAT tool is just a tool, it does not make the rules.
>
>> This issue was identified and discussed during the voting process on s4-dev mailing
lis. For this release, it was considered valid to leave those generated files not annotated
by one of our mentors.

> That may not have been the correct decision.

Hi Sebb, I had originally -1'd the release due to the missing header
on these generated files. I was going by my understanding of Apache
guidelines, in particular
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-license-headers
and I generally follow that first paragraph - where ever possible add
the header.

I changed my vote based on the RAT output and then consulting the
second paragraph in that "on license headers" section linked above, in
particular "Copyright may not subsist in a document which is generated
by an transformation from an original."

What's the correct decision here?

Patrick