incubator-general mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Patches from contributors: missing ASF license inclusion?
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 13:42:10 GMT
You DO NOT NEED AN ICLA from these people.

Under the terms of the AL, any contribution made back to the ASF on
ASF infrastructure, such as via a mailing list, JIRA, or Bugzilla, is
licensed to the foundation. The JIRA checkbox existed to give people
an easy way to _avoid_ contributing something. There is no need to ask
casual patchers for ICLAs.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Matthieu Morel <mmorel@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the S4 project we have some recent patches from non-committers, but we have doubts
on how to integrate them.

> In the past, the Jira system had a clearly defined way for the contributor to mark the
patch as granted to the ASF.

> Typically (wording from the hbase book): "The patch should be attached to the associated
Jira ticket "More Actions -> Attach Files". Make sure you click the ASF license inclusion,
otherwise the patch can't be considered for inclusion".

> Unfortunately it seems that with the latest Jira updates, this option is not available
anymore to contributors.

> So, now, what is the proper way to ensure a patch can be included in the codebase of
an Apache (incubator) project? Do we need contributors, even casual ones, to file an ICLA?