incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Vote on personal matters: majority vote vs consensus
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:42:46 GMT
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alternatively, you could say enough is enough and to end the debate
> you're going to call a vote to demonstrate i've the PMCs support - a
> vote on letting ant stay on. That sounds like you're being nice, but
> in fact you're being clever, because now you only need 25% of voters
> to vote -1 and i'm gone.

This sounds like a vote to support the status quo, which isn't
something we normally do.  Votes are typically phrased as changes to
the status quo, where a +1 indicates a vote for the change and a -1
indicates a vote to keep things as they are.  So there's a natural
valance to voting and the phrasing of the ballot should not alter
that.

Doug