incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Identifying and removing inactive mentors
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2013 20:54:23 GMT
On 24 March 2013 19:05, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> > So sure, let's not force out people who are having a bad month or
> > something, but surely we should only be listing as mentors those that
> > are actually paying some attention to the podling?

I don't object to this, I just don't want the IPMC to run an
uncontrolled witch hunt (we've seen two in this last week and frankly it
has been embarrassing).

Having said that I'm not implying Christian intended to provoke the mob. I
believe his intentions were much more inline with the clarification
Upayavira provides.

> > On Sat, Mar 23, 2013, at 11:59 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
 >> In my opinion there is only a problem if nobody is looking or if the
>> podling community feels they are not getting the support they need.
>>
>> I therefore suggest reaching out to the podling rather than passing
>> judgement on the mentors.

If you start at Apache, how can you know what to expect from a mentor?

How about a simple rule, if the communities questions about the ASF are not
being addressed then the mentors are failing.

I would like to think that a case where a single mentor is doing all the
work can be covered by them coming to the IPMC and asking for help.

> Your suggestion surely helps, but I think it is just another spice in
> the soup. We should actively look for Mentors who are awol AND ask
> podlings if they feel well supported.

Fair enough. Just be wary of that witch hunt potential ;-)

Ross