incubator-general mailing list archives

From Luciano Resende <>
Subject Re: How to handle 3rd party extensions
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 22:36:16 GMT
On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez
<> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to ask a quick question to know how 3rd party extensions are
> handled in other Apache projects. (Historically,) In JSPWiki, all the
> custom plugins, filters, templates, etc, made by non committers has been
> uploaded to a wiki page at Each author uploaded his/her
> extension to his/her page, taking care of the content of that page, linking
> it to relevant pages, etc.
> Due to some legal reasons [#1], is/has been in read-only
> mode for a while and the need of hosting somewhere new extensions is
> beginning to arise. We're considering opneing jira tickets under a
> "extensions" component, to be able to track all these extensions, but most
> probably it makes much more sense to give people commit access, per
> request, to a specific svn repo folder (something similar to the commit
> policy followed by Jenkins).
> We were wondering if this approach could be feasible under Apache's svn or
> if it makes more sense to host these extensions outside Apache infra (a
> google code or github account).
> What have other projects done on this situation?
> thanks & br,
> juan pablo
> [#1]:

Assuming the new templates are "Apache Licensed", you might have few options :
   - Contributors can submit/update artifacts via JIRA and a committer
would update to the proper location
   - After submitting a CLA, a contributor is granted write access to
3rd party artifact area and can submit/update his Apache Licensed
   - Based on the type of contribution, evaluate the contributor and
possible make him a committer, then problem solved...

For non Apache Licensed artifacts, you might consider Apache Extras,
but you probably wil only have a link saying something like "For other
non Apache Licensed artifacts, see... " and point to apache extras.

Luciano Resende

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message