incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Creating announce@ lists by default
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 01:14:55 GMT
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> I am under the impression that having a low-volume, high-signal
> announcement channel is generally beneficial to most projects that try it.

I agree that such lists are useful.  I like to subscribe to individual
announce lists for security purposes because aggregate lists like
debian-security-announce generally lag behind upstream.  Individual dev lists
and announce@a.o are too high traffic and programming text-based filters is
tricky because conventions like "ANNOUNCE" are not adhered to 100% of the
time.

As to whether such lists should be encouraged for new podlings (probably by
putting a stub in the proposal template alongside the other lists), I can't
say that I have a strong opinion.

Marvin Humphrey