incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Patches from contributors: missing ASF license inclusion?
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 13:56:05 GMT
On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:42 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:
> You DO NOT NEED AN ICLA from these people.
>
> Under the terms of the AL, any contribution made back to the ASF on
> ASF infrastructure, such as via a mailing list, JIRA, or Bugzilla, is
> licensed to the foundation. The JIRA checkbox existed to give people
> an easy way to _avoid_ contributing something. There is no need to ask
> casual patchers for ICLAs.

+1

Here's Roy:

    http://s.apache.org/roy-on-contributions-and-git

    Yes, that opinion comes from me speaking as a board member and author of
    the Apache License, and has previously been cleared with Apache's legal
    team for a long ago discussion with Incubator.  We don't need a CLA on
    file to accept contributions from non-committers.  We just need a clear
    intent by the author to contribute under our normal terms.

    We have archives on all of our communication channels.  We don't
    need the silly checkbox.  We never have.

    ... The authors do not need to have a CLA on file even if the contribution
    is massive -- CLAs are only required for the people who want an account at
    Apache and thus are allowed to make the decision to push those bits into
    our repository.

Marvin Humphrey