incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Creating announce@ lists by default
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2013 15:39:04 GMT
On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> Thanks Greg. Sane advice. I'll add this to my todo list and see if I can
> come up with a patch for the docs.

The obvious place to patch is the descriptive paragraph here:

However, I question whether decisions about mailing lists should be made by
the small group that typically works up a proposal.  Why not start off with
just a dev list and have the entire community participate in discussions about
what additional mailing lists to add?

*   Do we need a user@ list yet?
*   Where should commit notifications be sent?
*   Where should issue tracker notifications be sent?
*   Should we add an announce@ list?

These questions all have interesting implications with regard to community
dynamics, and I think it would benefit podlings to be considering them early
on.

So, I'd like to propose a page describing the various mailing list choices
that top-level Apache projects have made and the tradeoffs, which I volunteer
to write and which I think ought to live on community.a.o rather than
incubator.a.o.

Once that page is live, I propose that we modify the proposal template so that
the default is only a dev list.  Mailing list expansion then becomes part of
the incubation curriculum, along with code import, header change, preparation
of a release management procedure, making a release, recruiting new
contributors/committers/PMC-members, and so on.

Marvin Humphrey