incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Ambari (incubating) 1.2.1 Release Candidate RC0.
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 20:49:11 GMT
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 8:13 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The ambari-1.2.1-incubating.tar.gz.mds file is wrong; there should be
>> separate files for each hash type.
>> Normally only MD5 and SHA are provided.
>>

> In what way are they "wrong?" It is a perfectly well defined output format
> that is the preferred one for Ambari. Depending on MD5 or even SHA1 for
> tamper detection is in fact wrong.

Is there any particular reason to introduce this type of inconsistency? At least
in Hadoop ecosystem I know of no other project that provides a combined
bundle for the checksums. This makes the job of the tools that automatically
download apache tarballs and ingest them into a build pipeline more complicated
without much obvious benefit.

Thanks,
Roman.