incubator-general mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patches from contributors: missing ASF license inclusion?
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 14:01:46 GMT
This is clear now, there is no room for doubt.

Thanks !

Matthieu

On Mar 4, 2013, at 14:42 , Benson Margulies wrote:

> You DO NOT NEED AN ICLA from these people.
>
> Under the terms of the AL, any contribution made back to the ASF on
> ASF infrastructure, such as via a mailing list, JIRA, or Bugzilla, is
> licensed to the foundation. The JIRA checkbox existed to give people
> an easy way to _avoid_ contributing something. There is no need to ask
> casual patchers for ICLAs.
>

> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Matthieu Morel <mmorel@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the S4 project we have some recent patches from non-committers, but we have doubts
on how to integrate them.

>> In the past, the Jira system had a clearly defined way for the contributor to mark
the patch as granted to the ASF.

>> Typically (wording from the hbase book): "The patch should be attached to the associated
Jira ticket "More Actions -> Attach Files". Make sure you click the ASF license inclusion,
otherwise the patch can't be considered for inclusion".

>> Unfortunately it seems that with the latest Jira updates, this option is not available
anymore to contributors.

>> So, now, what is the proper way to ensure a patch can be included in the codebase
of an Apache (incubator) project? Do we need contributors, even casual ones, to file an ICLA?